Struggling With 504 Gateway Timeout Error? Effective Ways To Troubleshoot It Permanently
Gateway 504 Timeout Error is a very common server issue for internet users. It generates this HTTP error code and fails to load the requested pages. You can get stuck with this fatal error “504 Gateway Timeout”.
What Is HTTP 504 Error?
A 504 Gateway Timeout error indicates that the web server is failed to accept the request from the client. Another way, we can say that the server side is unable to give a real-time response. Therefore, the users fail to see the required webpages on the browser and an unexpected error appears for multiple times. The error messages can come in various ways related to the HTTP status code such as “HTTP 504”, “HTTP Error 504 – Gateway Timeout”, “504 Error”, and Gateway Timeout (504), etc.
More On Gateway Timeout Error Nginx
Due to a server connection error, this 504 gateway is generated. It is one of the most common error occured while you try to access a website. It comes up with different types of error messages at different times. The common error messages you can often see are “504 Gateway Timeout” and “504 Gateway Timeout Nginx”, etc. This annoying issue happens when it doesn’t receive the timely response from the upstream server. Moreover, that specific webpage becomes stops to respond.
Possible Reasons Behind 504 Gateway Timeout Error
A lot of reasons are responsible for this annoying issue. So, you need to identify them first before resolving the problem. This approach will help you to avoid them effectively and secure your system from the unexpected glitches.
- Server Down Issue: The website that you try to access and if the web traffic is more than its capacity, then it might create this kind of error. Sometimes, the internal server issues associated with that specific link is responsible for this 504 timeout error.
- Network Connection Error: Sometimes, sluggish connection can’t establish a website on your device. Moreover, it fails to load the data on that page as the server page won’t be able to accept the request. Similarly, unable to give a real-time response is another reason behind this HTTP error.
- An incorrect DNS server setting is another barrier for operating the webpage smoothly.
- Many times, a strong Firewall Settings and the Proxy Server Settings can create a problem that results in the 504 Gateway Timeout error or 503 Service Unavailable. Therefore, your required webpage fails to load on-time.
Fix Connection Timeout With Simple Steps
There are some technical steps to resolve the 504 error effortlessly. Sometimes, quick processes like the rebooting and resolving the network connectivity error become helpful to overcome 504 error in the primary stage. For a critical situation, the following steps will be very effective to fix this server issue. You may try out of them and fix the error quickly.
Reload The Web Application
- First, press F5 from the keyboard.
- Allow some time to the page to reload. Then, check whether the active application is working or not.
Reboot The Device
- Exit from all the opened web pages and close the active windows.
- Disconnect all the external cables, external drives attached to the device.
- Press Windows key and choose Restart to reboot the device. You can use the shortcut keys Ctrl+Alt+Del from the keyboard to Restart Windows.
- Now, open the web pages through launching a web browser and check whether the 504 Gateway Timeout Error persists or not.
Verify Network Connection
- If you use the wireless connection, the open check the router settings and verify whether the signal is dropped out on a frequent basis or not. If you see the signal is poor, then immediately contact your ISP for a technical fix.
- For a wired connection, check whether the Ethernet cable is defective or not. Moreover, you need to confirm that the device port is not damaged.
- Open another website and check whether it is working or not. If you see that the site is running successfully, then you should confirm that the previous site is suffering from the server down issue.
Disable Proxy Settings
- Re-open the Browser, such as Google Chrome, Safari, etc.
- Go to the upper-right corner of the window and Click on the Customize and Control button.
- Choose Settings from the menu and open the Browser Settings window.
- Tap on the Advanced and go to the System section.
- Select Open Proxy Settings under this Advanced section and it will launch the Internet Properties window.
- Click on the Local Area Network(LAN) settings From the Local Area Connection Settings Window.
- Under the Automatic Configuration section, you will get several options. Remove the tick from the Automatically Detect Settings checkbox.
- Uncheck Use a proxy server for your LAN option and click on OK to confirm it.
- When done, tap on the OK button to close the Browser Settings window.
Disable CDN Temporarily
- First, launch the web application tool which you use to load the web content in the website.
- Go to the Settings tab and then to the pop-up plugin section.
- Enable Disable CDN usage option and click on the Save Changes.
- When done, open the browser and go to the Settings tab from the customize and Control section.
- Choose More Tools and click on the Clear Browsing Data. This step will help to clear the browser cache.
Change DNS Server Settings
- Open the Control Panel window and click on the Network and Internet.
- Under this section, you will find the Network and Sharing Center.
- In the left pane of the window, you will find the option Change Network Adapter Settings and tap on it.
- Locate the connection and right-click on it. Choose Properties under this section.
- In the Properties window, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on the Properties button.
- Choose the Use the following DNS server addresses and enter the relevant information here.
- Here, you need to fill two separate fields with different addresses. Enter the Preferred text box as 184.108.40.206 and put 220.127.116.11 as an alternative address. For Open DNS address, you may use 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124.220 respectively.
- Click on the OK button and confirm the address which you have given.
- When done, disconnect your device from the internet and check whether the 504 Gateway error is resolved or not.
In the above article, we have discussed the 504 Gateway Timeout Error with its responsible reasons. So, you can easily identify the affected area that helps to fix the problem without any problem. Moreover, we have briefly talked about the technical steps to overcome this HTTP error. Not only that but also this context is beneficial to avoid the 504 error at the primary stage of the issue.